Keep it Credible
Scrutinize your sources and see what others say to select the best information.
Scrutinize the Source
Purpose & Audience
- Why was the source created? To entertain, persuade, or inform?
- Is it sponsored? Who is reading it?
Beware Author Bias
- Warning signs: exaggerated or emotional language and a lack of evidence to support claims.
Check Your Own Bias
- Check your own biases and how they influence your judgment of the source.
Check the Date
- When was the article originally published? Has it been reprinted from another source?
See What Others Say
- Use a fact-checking site (Snopes, FactCheck, or Politifact) if information seems suspect. Is it satire?
Follow the Evidence
- Click links or search citations to inspect the quality of supporting sources.
Evaluate the Author
- Search for the author outside the source.
- What is their experience and expertise?
Inspect the Publisher
- Inspect the mission and scope of the site or publication where the source is found.
- Search for more info on the publisher.